Skip to content


Your cart is empty

Entre Pedras - N/V - Arinto dos Açores Branco

Sale price€44,00

Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout

This isn't your typical expression of the Arinto grape. This white wine goes beyond the single varietal, offering a unique blend that celebrates the distinct character of Pico Island in the Azores. While Arinto makes up 90% of the blend, the remaining 10% is a fascinating mix of Terrantez do Pico, Verdelho from the Azores, and Boal. These are all native Azorean grape varieties, distinct from their mainland counterparts. This blend allows Entre Pedras to showcase the unique identity of the Azores terroir and the potential of its indigenous grapes. The winemaking process honors traditional methods. The grapes, sourced from old vines aged between 40 and 80 years, are first foot-trodden. This gentle technique helps extract flavor and texture without harsh tannins. Following foot-treading, the grapes are pressed in a vertical stainless steel press, a method that ensures delicate handling. Natural fermentation, guided by the native yeasts on the grape skins, takes center stage. This minimal intervention approach allows the true character of the Azorean grapes and volcanic terroir to shine through. After fermentation is complete, sulfites are added to preserve freshness before bottling. The Arinto dos Açores undergoes a two-step maturation process. The majority of the blend (72%) spends 9 months resting on lees in stainless steel tanks. This technique, called "sur lies," adds richness and complexity to the wine's texture and flavor profile. The remaining 28% is aged for 6 months in used barrels. This component introduces subtle hints of oak and additional structure to the final blend.

Entre Pedras - N/V - Arinto dos Açores Branco
Entre Pedras - N/V - Arinto dos Açores Branco Sale price€44,00

Learn more about

Entre Pedras

Located on the volcanic island of Pico in the Azores archipelago, Entre Pedras wines are a story of friendship, passion, and a deep respect for the land. Born from the shared vision of André Ribeiro and Ricardo Pinto, university friends united by their love of wine, Entre Pedras strives to capture the essence of Pico in every bottle.

The journey began in 2017 when André, alongside his father Gilberto, planted the first vines for this project: 1.3 hectares of Arinto dos Açores on the north side and 0.15 hectares of Verdelho on the south side of the island. Fate intervened two years later, reuniting André with Ricardo at the 2019 harvest. Sharing a philosophy of life and a dedication to low-intervention winemaking, they knew they had found a kindred spirit.

Despite being young, André and Ricardo were determined to make a big impact with limited resources. Their first effort, a 2019 Arinto, showcased this perfectly. Just over 500 bottles were produced, each one imbued with the unique character of Pico's volcanic soil. This uniqueness was further amplified by aging the wine for a year in a lava tube discovered beneath the very vineyard that produced the grapes.

Driven by a relentless passion, they continued to shape the Entre Pedras project. They cleared land, built walls, and expanded their plantings with 0.6 hectares in the south and 0.5 hectares in the north. Here, they planted "bacelos," traditional vine shelters, that will soon be grafted with Terrantez do Pico, another of the island's prized grape varieties.

In 2020, their quest for exceptional terroir led them to forge a friendship with a local winemaker. This collaboration opened the doors to a fantastic old vineyard in Criação Velha, a place they believe embodies the purest expression of Pico's volcanic soul. This partnership yielded their "2020 de Vinhas Velhas" wine, a testament to the potential of established vines and a commitment to showcasing Pico's rich viticultural heritage.

Entre Pedras wines are crafted under the DOC Açores designation, reflecting their adherence to the region's strict quality standards. The cool, Atlantic climate and volcanic basalt soils of Pico play a defining role in shaping the character of these wines. With André Ribeiro and Ricardo Pinto at the helm of oenology, Entre Pedras promises a future filled with innovative and terroir-driven wines that will transport you to the heart of this captivating island.