Skip to content


Your cart is empty

Entre Pedras - 2021 - Verdelho dos Açores

Sale price€33,99

Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout

A white wine that captures the essence of Pico Island in the Azores archipelago. This Verdelho Açores isn't your typical single-grape varietal. Instead, it showcases the diversity of the Azores with a blend of 90% Arinto from the Azores, 10% that combines Terrantez from Pico, Verdelho from the Azores, and Boal. These grapes are all native to the islands, offering a distinct character compared to their mainland counterparts. The winemaking process reflects a commitment to traditional methods. The grapes, sourced from old vines aged between 40 and 80 years, are gently crushed before undergoing vertical pressing in stainless steel tanks. This gentle approach helps preserve the delicate characteristics of the grapes. Following pressing, the must undergoes natural fermentation, allowing the native yeasts present on the grapes to guide the process. This minimal intervention allows the wine to express the true character of the Azores terroir. After fermentation, sulfites are introduced to ensure freshness before bottling. The Verdelho Açores undergoes a two-part maturation process. The majority of the blend (72%) spends 9 months resting on lees in stainless steel tanks. This technique helps to enhance the wine's texture and body. The remaining 28% is aged for 6 months in used barrels. This adds a touch of complexity and richness to the final blend.

Entre Pedras - 2021 - Verdelho dos Açores
Entre Pedras - 2021 - Verdelho dos Açores Sale price€33,99

Learn more about

Entre Pedras

Nestled on the volcanic island of Pico in the Azores archipelago, Entre Pedras wines are a story of friendship, passion, and a deep respect for the land. Born from the shared vision of André Ribeiro and Ricardo Pinto, university friends united by their love of wine, Entre Pedras strives to capture the essence of Pico in every bottle.

The journey began in 2017 when André, alongside his father Gilberto, planted the first vines for this project: 1.3 hectares of Arinto dos Açores on the north side and 0.15 hectares of Verdelho on the south side of the island. Fate intervened two years later, reuniting André with Ricardo at the 2019 harvest. Sharing a philosophy of life and a dedication to low-intervention winemaking, they knew they had found a kindred spirit.

Despite being young, André and Ricardo were determined to make a big impact with limited resources. Their first effort, a 2019 Arinto, showcased this perfectly. Just over 500 bottles were produced, each one imbued with the unique character of Pico's volcanic soil. This uniqueness was further amplified by aging the wine for a year in a lava tube discovered beneath the very vineyard that produced the grapes.

Driven by a relentless passion, they continued to shape the Entre Pedras project. They cleared land, built walls, and expanded their plantings with 0.6 hectares in the south and 0.5 hectares in the north. Here, they planted "bacelos," traditional vine shelters, that will soon be grafted with Terrantez do Pico, another of the island's prized grape varieties.

In 2020, their quest for exceptional terroir led them to forge a friendship with a local winemaker. This collaboration opened the doors to a fantastic old vineyard in Criação Velha, a place they believe embodies the purest expression of Pico's volcanic soul. This partnership yielded their "2020 de Vinhas Velhas" wine, a testament to the potential of established vines and a commitment to showcasing Pico's rich viticultural heritage.

Entre Pedras wines are crafted under the DOC Açores designation, reflecting their adherence to the region's strict quality standards. The cool, Atlantic climate and volcanic basalt soils of Pico play a defining role in shaping the character of these wines. With André Ribeiro and Ricardo Pinto at the helm of oenology, Entre Pedras promises a future filled with innovative and terroir-driven wines that will transport you to the heart of this captivating island.